Friday, February 4, 2011

Complete Misery

Before our weekend excursion to Nagarhole National Park, we went to visit our doctor group. They were suggesting that I loosen up a bit. Let my kids eat more foods out. "It will be good for them in the long run, the more germs they are exposed to the stronger and healthier they will be." Okay, so in the back of my mind I keep playing that conversation over and over again in my head. I remembered my husband saying that at the resorts proper precautions are taken to keep foreigners healthy. At the rustic resort Ansel was eating raw fruits and I thought, hmm, maybe I'll try a salad. Let's jump right in. I felt fine the whole time we were there and then driving home my stomach was in knots. I knew diarrhea was on its way. We got home and I was pretty sick. At 3am on Monday I woke up with a fever. We called the doctor and he said it sounds like a "welcome to India" sickness. He recommended antibiotics, probiotics, fever reducer, 2.5 L of fluid, and lots of rest. I was pretty miserable as it was, and then came nausea. The intensity of the nausea was increasing. I was sure I was going to die, and then I vomited. I felt 10 times better. I called the doctor and he told me to take anti-nausea pills. The main concern was that I could keep the medicines down. The nausea medicine took the edge off but I was still pretty nauseated. All I wanted to do was sleep. I ate nothing but a yogurt from Sunday night to Monday night.

Tuesday I felt a little better by the end of the day. That said I still don't feel fully recovered. I am still weak.. Even Friday in the car on the way home I was feeling very nauseated. I guess I'll avoid salads after all...

6 comments:

  1. Ah, fits so well with my last post about what I will and won't eat. (Or at least should know better than to eat.) Lettuce is bad news, I tell you! (But I know how tempting it can look when you haven't had it and you think that some fresh vegetables sound so good.) Glad you're feeling better but sorry you had to be sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kayla! It was actually a potato salad with grapes in it. I think the grapes were the culprit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, so sorry to hear that you got sick. (I think we met once at the Moog Bash--Mike Garity is on his way with boxes of Cheerios for you!) We've enjoyed your blog. I hope this weekend is better for you.
    Brenda Garity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our kids will be thrilled to have Cheerios. I am feeling much better now. Thank you so much, Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did Ansel get sick, too?

    We were sick with a stomach bug over here, too, recently, although not nearly as bad as the "Welcome to India" sickness. I'm telling you-- stomach bugs are WORSE THAN LABOR!!!! I really don't think there is anything worse. I am praying you never get that again the whole time you're in India! Glad you're feeling better!

    Love you, Chelle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, Ansel has been healthy the whole time! We are truly thankful.

    Unfortunately my sickness is back. Thanks so much for praying! It seems I never really got over it in the first place. Love you, Sigrid!

    ReplyDelete